Cooking this Weekend
July 18, 2014 § 2 Comments
Heading to your local farmers market this weekend? Going to the Dupont Farmers Market on Sunday is usually the highlight of my weekend. The vegetables! The samples! The dogs tied up everywhere waiting to be pet!
This weekend I’m in class on Saturday, so its going to be a real treat on Sunday to get outside and then do some cooking with whatever I haul home.
This may not come as a surprise given my propensity for routine, but I like to have a general plan before heading to the market. I tend to do some recipe searching ahead of time so I have an idea of what I might want to make. It makes shopping at the market more relaxing!
To help me in my recipe planning, I turn to FRESHFARM Markets’ guide to what’s in season each month (FRESHFARM Markets runs a lot of the farmers markets in the DC area). Martha Stewart also has a nice seasonal produce guide, with recipes by ingredient.
July highlights in the mid-atlantic region include apricots, beets, blackberries, eggplant, rhubarb, and tomatillos. Below are some recipes to help you plan your farmers market trip and make use of these summer gems.
What’s in season near you? What’s on your cooking list this weekend? Share in the comments!
- Apricot-Compote Yogurt Parfaits
- Quinoa, Apricot & Arugula Salad
- Salmon Tacos with Apricot Salsa
- Breakfast Apricot Crisp
- Beet Yogurt with Herbs
- Beet and Bean Veggie Burgers
- Beet Greens Frittata
- Red Velvet Cupcakes (with beets!)
- Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini, and Chickpea Wraps
- Burnt Eggplant and Couscous Soup
- Sweet Chili Eggplant and Arugula Toss (this is at the top of my list!)
- Shakshuka with Roasted Vegetables
- Avocado and Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Scrambled Eggs with Tomatillos
- Tomatillo Shrimp Burritos (I bet this would be awesome as a burrito bowl, without the wrap)
(Photo of Norman Rockwell’s studio in Stockbridge, MA)