Greek Salad Tacos
July 23, 2014 § 2 Comments
You don’t exactly need a recipe to have salad tacos in your kitchen. This is a 10 minute, throw-some-delicious-items-together-and-make-something-more-than-the-sum-of-the-ingredients kind of meal. But, I think we can probably all use a little kitchen inspiration, even for the simplest kind of meals, in fact, especially for the simplest kind of meals.
I made salad tacos for the first time the other day, mainly because I wanted scrambled eggs with this hot sauce for lunch, but figured I should have some green stuff on my plate too. I tossed together a quick arugula salad, and heated up some corn tortillas thinking I would use them to scoop up my eggs. Instead, I ended up eating the corn tortillas with the salad, and loving the combination of the tart and peppery arugula salad with the crispy, slightly sweet tortillas. My poor scrambled eggs got no corn tortilla treatment.
So, later on that day , when deciding what to have for dinner, I was craving a greek salad, and decided to continue the great salad taco experiment. I made a quick greek-ish salad: arugula, pepperoncinis, chickpeas, red onion, and cashews, (see, greek-ish…I may or may not have a cashew addiction) tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, and a dash of oregano. I was out of feta and my avocados weren’t ripe, but I will definitely toss those in next time. These tacos were so good I refused to share with Sam, and I devoured them in about 2 minutes.
The possibilities are truly endless here. You could fill your taco with any type of salad you like! I’m itching to put this kale salad in a taco next. Below is a loose recipe to get you started on the salad taco train. I made this salad entirely based on what I had in my fridge and loved it, but am also including a few ingredients I didn’t have on hand that I think would make great additions. Keep me posted on your salad taco adventures!
Greek Salad Tacos
2 1/2 cups arugula
Generous 1/3 cup chickpeas
handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
handful of cashews
1/4 cup diced cucumber, diced
1/8 cup thin red onion slices
1/4 cup pepperoncinis
Half an avocado, sliced
1/4 cup feta cheese
Juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
Dash of oregano
2 corn tortillas (I love Whole Foods 365 Corn Tortillas)
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients up to the lemon juice (including the feta cheese). Toss to combine.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the salad ingredients.
- Add the olive oil and a dash of oregano. Toss to combine.
- Taste the salad. If it is too acidic, add a bit more olive oil. If it is bland, add another squeeze of lemon juice.
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray, and turn the heat to medium. When the pan is warm, place one of the corn tortillas in the pan. If the tortilla edges curl up at all, use a spatula to press down on it. Warm the tortilla for about a minute on each side, until each side has some color and the corn tortilla is warmed through. Repeat with second tortilla.
- Place tortillas on a plate and top with salad.